ABOUT GAHP The Global Alliance on Health and Pollution (GAHP) is a collaborative body made up of more than 60 members and dozens of observers that advocates for resources and solutions to pollution problems. GAHP was formed because international and national level actors/ agencies recognize that a collaborative, multi-stakeholder, multi-sectoral approach is necessary and critical to deal with the global pollution crisis and resulting health and economic impacts. Although initiated in 2012, GAHP just recently incorporated as a foundation in 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland.
GAHP’s overall goal is to reduce death and illness caused by all forms of toxic pollution, including air, water, soil and chemical wastes especially in low and middle-income countries. These efforts will contribute to achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals related to pollution, particularly on Health (Targets 3.4 and 3.9).
Current Open positions
DATA ANALYST INTERN, Pure Earth for GAHP (SUMMER 2020)
ABOUT GAHP (see above)
ABOUT PURE EARTH Pure Earth is an international not-for-profit organization dedicated to solving life-threatening pollution problems in low and middle-income countries. A global leader in this field, Pure Earth addresses a critical need to identify and clean up the world’s worst polluted places, focusing on places where human health is most at risk. Based in New York, Pure Earth works cooperatively in partnerships that include governments, the international community, NGOs and local communities to design and implement innovative, low-cost solutions to save lives. Our New York office, located at 475 Riverside Drive, maintains hours from 10 AM to 6 PM, Monday – Friday (currently closed due to COVID19). Pure Earth hosts the GAHP Secretariat in New York.
May-June (possible extension), 16 – 20 hours per week; $15-20/hour.
The position will be remote, with regular check-ins with supervisor and occasional visits to the Pure Earth office if/when COVID19 restrictions are lifted. Start date as soon as possible.
The Summer Data Analyst will be responsible for compiling and analyzing Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) data related to global pollution for an exciting new project focused on publishing an update to the 2017 Lancet Commission on Health and Pollution (expected publication in the Lancet early 2021). The intern can expect to perform the following tasks (subject to change):
Data analysis and visualization (100 %)
- Use IHME database to determine country pollution trends
- Identify factors that are driving changes in pollution trends
- Develop rankings of countries based on positive/negative trends
- Assist with developing graphics and figures
The intern will report to Laura Schaefli, Program Associate, GAHP.
- Master’s degree completed or pursuing a Master’s degree in epidemiology, statistics, public health, or a related field
- Experience with scientific research required
- Proficiency with statistical packages (e.g. SPSS, STATA, R)
- Excellent Excel skills
- Attention to detail is required
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines consistently is required
- ArcGIS experience is a strong plus
- Available for a minimum of 15 hours/week, with possibility of more hours as required
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] to apply for the internship by 22 May 2020.