GAHP Updates: Nov. 2016
The Global Commission on Pollution and Health has been submitted to all GAHP members for final review and comment. If you are a GAHP member and did NOT receive a copy, please email Rachael at [email protected] immediately. Comments/edits are due in track changes by 14th November to Elena Rahona at [email protected].
New and Noteworthy
- New report from Green Cross Switzerland and Pure Earth
On 25th October, Green Cross Switzerland and Pure Earth released “The World’s Worst Pollution Problems Report 2016: The Toxics Beneath our Feet.”
The Report highlights the top ten polluting industries contaminating soil and groundwater in developing countries, putting 32 million people at risk. You can access the latest report and all previous reports at www.worstpolluted.org.
- UNICEF report
UNICEF released the report “Clear the Air for Children,” which highlights the urgent need to protect children from air pollution. The report reveals that nearly one in seven of the world’s children, 300 million, live in areas with the most toxic levels of outdoor air pollution – six or more times higher than international guidelines.
- Pollution issues in the news
There have been some very interesting press articles and coverage of pollution issues in the media lately. Here are just a few examples:
Rally held in Kathmandu to raise awareness about lead poisoning, Himalayan Times
In Pictures: E-waste mountains in China, The Guardian
Opportunities for Involvement
GAHP will be launching several communications and promotional events pre- and post-release of the Commission Report, and we need your help! Together we can make a big splash!
While we prepare, if you haven’t already:
- Start following us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. We’ll be sending out lots of messages, so stay tuned, tweet and re-tweet and re-post!
- Put your media/communications team in touch with Angela Bernhardt at [email protected] so we can share our media toolkit and calendar when it is ready. Ask them to share their press lists, or to pass on messages to press contacts.
- Give us feedback on our draft graphics linking pollution to the SDGs. Contact Angela if you cannot find the preview link [email protected].
GAHP held its 2016 annual meeting on 6th October. A record 35 people participated, representing 20 agencies. Click here for a summary of the meeting. As always, summaries of GAHP executive committee and annual meetings can be found on our website.
We are pleased to welcome The Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL)
Want to feature a project or your organization in our newsletter? Have news you want to share? Want to subscribe or unsubscribe? Contact [email protected]
Comments are closed.