Communications Consultant- Vietnam
GAHP Communications Consultant – Vietnam
The Global Alliance on Health and Pollution (GAHP) is a collaborative body of members and dozens of observers that advocate for resources and solutions to pollution problems. GAHP was formed because international and national level actors/ agencies recognize that a collaborative, multi-stakeholder, multi-sectoral approach is necessary and critical to deal with the global pollution crisis and resulting health and economic impacts.
In 2012, Pure Earth initiated the Alliance with representatives from The World Bank, UNEP, UNDP, UNIDO, Asian Development Bank, the European Commission, Ministries of Environment and Health of many low and middle-income countries (LMICs) to formulate strategies to address pollution and health at scale. GAHP has proven its effectiveness and incorporated as a foundation in 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland.
GAHP is currently seeking a qualified motivated and detail-oriented, Communications Consultant for a fixed time period: 1st February 2023- 31 March 2023 (with potential for extension to 2025) who will be primarily responsible for:
- Externally communicating about GAHP’s work in Vietnam, including creating visibility and awareness around the Environmental Pollution project funded by DEFRA and implemented by GAHP partners in Vietnam.
- Coordinate, meet regularly with and manage external vendors to provide a suite of media products as described below, and report progress to Outreach and Communications Manager
- Ensuring all external communications are properly coordinated with and approved by DEFRA and project partners in Vietnam before their release
The Vietnam project is targeting both agrochemicals and open burning of agricultural land to reduce the impacts of agriculture in LMICs on both climate and biodiversity to meet COP26 commitments in Viet Nam.
Key audiences for the external communications and associated products are Vietnamese government officials, multilateral and bilateral funding agencies (DEFRA, EU, USAID, etc…), academia and international and Vietnamese NGOs/civil society and other actors.
Duration: February – March 2023. The initial phase of the consultant’s work will be from February 1 – March 31, 2023, but is anticipated to be a three-year project, ending in March 31, 2025, but contract must be renewed each April.
This is a rapid start project, which will require significant time commitment in February – March 2023, and coordination with DEFRA, and Vietnamese partners, as well as a suite of vendors/service providers. Consultant must be able and available to conduct work during two time zone: Switzerland and Vietnam.
This consultant will report to the Outreach & Communications Manager, and coordinate on project deliverables with the HPAP Manager.
Scope of Work
The Communications Consultant- Vietnam will be responsible for the following:
- Documenting the activities, outcomes and impact/results of Environmental Pollution Program in Vietnam, in coordination with the HPAP Manager.
- Ensuring all media products conform to GAHP, DEFRA, and Vietnamese partner requirements and branding in collaboration with the Outreach and Communications Manager
- Coordinating delivery/timing of outputs in coordination with the HPAP Manager and the Outreach & Communications Manager.
- Provide weekly updates to the Outreach & Communications Manager as to progress.
The consultant will be responsible for overseeing a suite of vendors to deliver communications products, and ensuring on-time delivery.
The consultant may also be responsible for creating or assisting with the creation of various communications products.
Communications products /outputs expected include but are not limited to:
- Creation of video stock footage from Vietnam
- Production of a promotional video for the project
- Content creation for articles/blog posts/ feature stories and the GAHP website
- Creation, editing of still photos (stock)
- Conducting interviews with project leadership, partners, stakeholders and community members
- Creation of social media posts, and other relevant media assets.
Materials developed should focus on compelling storytelling with a sense of urgency, and result in high-quality creative outputs.
Consultant should be prepared to share drafts of work products and outlines by mid-March with the Communications & Outreach Manager and DEFRA.
Consultant must work with the GAHP Communications & Outreach manager to use the media asset management system to preserve all video, photos, and graphic files produced.
Phase 2 (i.e. April 2023-March 2025) will be developed in collaboration with the Outreach & Communications Manager, but may include the following tasks:
- Secure DEFRA and all Vietnam partner approval for communications products, and edit as needed.
- Launch and establish a following for one to two social media channels for GAHP to build audience engagement,
- Generating compelling content representing the work of the project.
- Conduct media outreach to get press coverage in Vietnam, Europe, US etc. to raise awareness of agrochemical use and open burning focusing on solutions that GAHP and partners are championing.
- Work with partners and stakeholders in media outreach.
- Outputs may include press releases, email and telephone calls to media targets to pitch key messages resulting in three pieces of coverage in either print, web, radio/tv or broadcast coverage.
Potential Additional Work
Depending on consultant’s availability and skill set, there is potential to expand the scope of work to additional external GAHP communications need, which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting the Communications & Outreach Manager to liaise with and manage other GAHP Comms vendors to meet related deliverables, such as transitioning to an updated website format and platform
- Improving audience reach and content and layout of GAHP’s Global Lead (Pb) Forum
- Coordinate and generate content production for GAHP newsletter and relevant communications content, and trends analysis related to traffic on various GAHP websites/platforms, May 2023 Lancet Planetary Health publication and trends.
- Create and update content for GAHP’s website and diverse social media platforms
- Graphic design for GAHP program outputs
- Schedule meetings, prepare meeting agendas and additional tasks as relevant
- Assist GAHP to identify opportunities for media and communications, joint panels/presentations and events with GAHP network and support their development as relevant
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and minimum of 8 years of experience, or a Master’s and 6 years of experience
- Proven track record of creating and producing compelling media pieces (video, multimedia, graphic and print) for non-profit organizations, especially government donor-funded
- Experience working with UK DEFRA/ UK AID marking and branding communications guidelines a plus.
- Strong project management experience
- Proven track record of
- Securing media coverage for issues, projects and
- Seeing projects through to completion,
- Delivering work products on-time in a very tight delivery period (Ability to work and deliver under pressure)
- Must possess a high level of attention to detail
- Experience establishing and growing digital and social media channels for at least three years.
- Experience implementing strategic communications goals and engaging partners and stakeholders.
- Excellent content writing, editing, presentation preparation, and interviewing skills.
- Fluency in Vietnamese a plus.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience/knowledge in pollution, environmental, public health highly preferred
How to apply
Submit a resume/CV, cover letter, and 1-2 page writing sample as a single attachment to email@example.com. Subject line should read: Communications Consultant -Vietnam Application.
In the cover letter, summarize in bullet points your applicable skills, experience and track record.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Start date: February 1st 2023
End date: March 31st 2023 with possible opportunity for extension.
This is a fixed-time, consultancy. This is not an employment position. Consultancy does not come with any employment benefits.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applicants may be international, but must be independent consultants.
Swiss applicants must be registered as independent consultants with the Swiss government.
GAHP currently has an office in Geneva Switzerland. Applicant must be able to work remote. Travel to Geneva for in-person meetings may be required on occasion.