HPAP Program Officer
Position Description: HPAP Program Officer
Location: Geneva, Switzerland or NY, USA
Duration: 11 months (February 2023 – December 2023)
About the Global Alliance on Health and Pollution (GAHP)
GAHP is a collaborative body that advocates for resources and solutions to pollution problems. GAHP was formed because international and national level actors/ agencies recognize that a collaborative, multi-stakeholder, multi-sectoral approach is necessary and critical to deal with the global pollution crisis and resulting health and economic impacts.
GAHP’s overall goal is to reduce death and illness caused by all forms of toxic pollution, including air, water, soil and chemical wastes especially in low and middle-income countries. These efforts will contribute to achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals related to pollution, particularly on Health (Targets 3.4 and 3.9).
GAHP is seeking a qualified, motivated and detail-oriented, full-time Program Officer to help manage, implement and grow GAHP’s program of work, especially the Health and Pollution Action Planning program for a fixed time period: February 2023- December 2023.
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to work independently as well as in a team, will be an excellent writer, extremely detail oriented, organized and have a proven track record of delivering work products on-time. Experience working on pollution-related projects in low-and middle-income countries is required. Logical thinking and the ability to contribute ideas are also key. Ideally, the candidate will also have a keen interest in and possess technical knowledge in environmental, health, pollution and international development issues.
Program Management (~65%)
- Assist GAHP team to implement its Health and Pollution Action program, including day-to-day activities, presentation preparation, event logistics/organizing, partner and expert coordination and outreach, and other tasks
- Assist with program tracking, follow up and monitoring progress
- Track donor specific deliverables
- Assist with grant reporting
- Assist GAHP staff and partners to draft proposals to all types of donors
- Process receipts and expense reports
- Assist with contract preparation and finalization
- Schedule meetings, prepare meeting agendas
- Assist in compiling program information for inclusion in GAHP newsletters, blogs, reports
Additional tasks as relevant.
Occasional late nights and travel may be required.
- At least three years of relevant experience working in non-profit program management or implementation
- At least three years of experience implementing pollution-related projects in low-and middle-income countries, including Francophone Africa (specifically Senegal, Madagascar and Burkina Faso)
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in related field (e.g. international development/relations, public health, environmental science or related field); Master’s Degree a plus.
- Strong writing, research, project management and analytical skills a must.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel (i.e. formulas, referencing, pivot tables, etc.) and online research tools, or ability to pick up new technology quickly
- Must be fluent in French and English. Spanish or other language a plus.
- Experience living and working in LMICs, especially Africa, highly desired.
- Must possess a high level of attention to detail and the ability to see projects through to completion, on-time
- Self-starter and motivated. Must be able to work with directives and minimal supervision.
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor and a positive attitude
- Team player
- Ability to work under pressure
- Experience/knowledge in pollution, environmental, public health and/or international development issues highly preferred
Salary commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Submit a resume/CV, cover letter, and 1-2 page writing sample as a single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: HPAP Program Officer Application.
In the cover letter, summarize in bullet points your applicable skills, experience and track record.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Start date: February 1st 2023
End date: December 31st 2023.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
GAHP is committed to provide equal opportunity employment for all qualified persons and not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation or any other protected status.
This is a fixed limited full-time position with all associated labor benefits required by law.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Switzerland or the USA.
GAHP currently has an office in Geneva Switzerland. Swiss applicants may work from home three days a week.
GAHP does not currently have an office in NY, USA. US applicants will be expected to work from home full time until an office is opened in NY.
Some travel to locations where GAHP implements its Global Programs is expected.