Position Description: Part-time Accountant
Location: Geneva, Switzerland (remote work)
Start date: Mid-August 2021
The Global Alliance on Health and Pollution (GAHP) is a collaborative body made up of more than 60 members and dozens of observers that advocates for resources and solutions to pollution problems. GAHP was formed because international and national level actors/ agencies recognize that a collaborative, multi-stakeholder, multi-sectoral approach is necessary and critical to deal with the global pollution crisis and resulting health and economic impacts. Although initiated in 2012, GAHP just recently incorporated as a foundation in 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland.
GAHP’s overall goal is to reduce death and illness caused by all forms of toxic pollution, including air, water, soil and chemical wastes especially in low and middle-income countries. These efforts will contribute to achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals related to pollution, particularly on Health (Targets 3.4 and 3.9).
GAHP is seeking a qualified part-time Accountant to help manage and track GAHP’s finances and budget, and ensure timely and accurate reporting.
This is a part-time position (approximately 25% FTE). Number of hours will vary by week, but will on average not exceed 15-20hrs/week or approximately 5 days/month. The position may be filled either by a part-time employee or consultant.
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to work independently, as well as in a team, will be extremely detail oriented, organized and have a proven track record of delivering work products on-time.
- Maintain general ledger and records of all financial transactions (~20 transactions/month).
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations
- Manage and track contracts (grants, consultants, service providers, vendors)
- Maintain accurate and up to date records and all supporting documentation
Process Payments / Expenses
- Process accounts payable invoices, reoccurring expenses, expense reports, reimbursements and advances
- Bank wire payment set up
- Complete month end closing on time
- Provide monthly budget vs. actual reporting
- Prepare financial reports for donors and management
- Facilitate yearly and project specific audits by external auditors
- Ensure compliance with all donor and regulatory reporting requirements, including filing reports, tax preparation and filing, and advising management on needed actions.
- Assist with annual budget and grant budget preparation and management when needed
Additional financial management tasks as relevant.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or related field or relevant other finance or accounting diploma
- At least two years of relevant accounting, bookkeeping or financial management experience, with experience in non-profit financial management and grant reporting preferred
- Swiss Certified Public Accountant certification preferred
- High level of proficiency with accounting software (e.g. SageIntaact, FundEZ; QuickBooks) and Excel (i.e. formulas, referencing, pivot tables, etc.) required
- Must be organized, possess a high level of attention to detail and the ability to see projects through to completion, on-time
- Self-starter and motivated. Must be able to work with directives and minimal supervision.
- Must possess high ethical standards and ability to recognize and resolve discrepancies
- Must be able to respond to requests in a very timely fashion with ability to prioritize and resolve urgent tasks when they arise
- A positive attitude
- Bilingual in English and French (minimum C1 level)
Compensation commensurate with experience. Applicants must be able to work legally in Switzerland. If based in Switzerland, applicants applying as independent consultants must provide proof of at least four (4) other current clients.
HOW TO APPLY
Email resume/CV, cover letter, and supporting documentation as needed through Indeed by 16th July 2020 to email@example.com.
In the cover letter, summarize in bullet points your applicable skills, experience and track record. Indicate if you are applying as a part-time employee or an independent consultant.
Candidates are highly recommended to complete the (free) skills tests listed on the job posting on Indeed.ch.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Phone calls will not be accepted.
All candidates selected for interview will be required to take a skills test.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
GAHP is committed to provide equal opportunity employment for all qualified persons and not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Work is to be performed at a desk in a home office environment. Work hours and schedule can be tailored. Applicant must be able to work from home or other location.