GAHP Global Alliance on Health and Pollution – A ROBUST AND COLLABORATIVE GLOBAL RESPONSE TO TOXIC POLLUTION
What is GAHP?
GAHP (Global Alliance on Health and Pollution) is a collaborative body made up of more than 60 members and dozens of observers that advocates for resources and solutions to pollution problems. GAHP was formed because international and national level actors/ agencies recognize that a collaborative, multi-stakeholder, multi-sectoral approach is necessary and critical to deal with the global pollution crisis and resulting health and economic impacts.
In 2012, Pure Earth initiated the alliance together representatives from The World Bank, UNEP, UNDP, UNIDO, Asian Development Bank, the European Commission, Ministries of Environment and Health of many low and middle-income countries to formulate strategies to address pollution and health at scale. GAHP has proven its effectiveness and incorporated as a foundation in 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland.
GAHP’s overall goal is to reduce death and illness caused by all forms of toxic pollution, including air, water, soil and chemical wastes especially in low and middle-income countries. These efforts will contribute to achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals related to pollution, particularly on Health (Targets 3.4 and 3.9)
GAHP FOCUSES ITS EFFORTS IN TWO MAIN AREAS:
ADVOCACY AND AWARENESS RAISING
Building public, technical and financial support to address pollution globally by promoting scientific research, raising awareness and tracking progress; and
• Robust and Collaborative Global Response to Toxic Pollution
• Research and Metrics
• Civil Society Activation
• Global Initiatives
—Children’s Global Lead (Pb) Initiative
—Clean Air Harvest initiative
—Other initiatives—hazardous wastewater management, toxic sites, others.
Assisting low- and middle-income countries to prioritize and address pollution and problems including:
• Health and Pollution Action Planning
• Solutions Planning and Resource Mobilisation
GAHP is unique in that it focuses on improving health as a priority and key metric for combatting pollution. GAHP is at the forefront of generating arguments (and the data and science behind them) that resonate with decision makers for investing in solutions to pollution and health problems.
Why Join GAHP?
THE BENEFITS TO JOINING GAHP ARE MANY, INCLUDING:
• Members (by participating in the GAHP Council, Board or Committees), can be part of and help shape the response to a major upcoming global issue. GAHP membership provides members an opportunity to contribute to overall global push for resources and attention to pollution, more than they could achieve on their own. Our growing membership shows there is demand to address pollution.
• GAHP is a nimble organization.
Our efficiency/ability to skirt bureaucracy means we can achieve or influence things at a faster pace than may be possible through the formal UN system or through governments for example, or despite internal restrictions/politics. We have had huge success already, i.e. SDGs, UNEA3, Lancet Report with global attention.
• It provides an opportunity for members to voice
their needs directly to donors, as well as network
with donors, technical experts etc.
Members have the ability to contribute to GAHP activities, and comment on strategies that will have global impact.
• Members can participate in GAHP activities, including our communications campaigns, directly contribute to messaging, and share their materials, reports, events with our network, as well as participate in country health and pollution action planning processes.
• Members can join in GAHP coalition-led initiatives
and participate in proposals and activities. Eventually, GAHP members will be able to gain access to funding through a shared program development team at GAHP who can help your organization draft proposals to donor agencies.
For more information about GAHP or how to join, contact
Rachael Kupka at [email protected]